Monday, August 31, 2009

How I started painting pumpkins

Text Color
A couple of years ago I saw some really basic painted pumpkins, and I thought, I can do that! I am a professional face painter so I already had some experience painting on a rounded surface.

At the time I had a small nephew who was OBSESSED with pumpkins. I'm not kidding. He wanted to look at google search pictures of them, he talked about them all the time, he even had a small sugar pumpkin that he took in his crib with him when he went to sleep. It was really cute, actually. One of my first painted pumpkins was a jack o' lantern face for him. I did it with acrylic paint and put an clear acrylic spray sealer on it once it was dry. So cute, don't you think?
Isaac's pumpkin

He was pretty excited when he got it!

Lots of traditional Halloween designs make great subject matter for pumpkin paintings. Witches, both cute and sexy style:
I love this little blue ghost:


And these "Boo" ghosts as well!

I tried some purple bats flying across the full moon:

In addition to the paint, I have made liberal use of glitter glue on most of these designs. It's difficult to tell from the pictures but most of these pumpkins have a sparkly coating on them that adds another dimension to the painting.

It's tough to take pictures of the pumpkin paintings at all! The rounded surface of the pumpkin make it difficult to near impossible to show the whole design on any of these pumpkins. Half of the painting is curved away from the camera lens, and not in the picture at all darn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment